Saturday, February 13, 2021

The Sound in my Head - Five years of living with Tinnitus

The Sound in my Head - Five years of living with Tinnitus

As with everything on this blog, this entry is written from my own perspective as a patient with an interest in their own condition, rather than as a medical professional.  The strategies I use for managing my tinnitus are those which I have found work for me, but they may not work for anyone else.  If you have developed tinnitus please go to the NHS website (linked here) for details on what to do, as while tinnitus can be benign - as detailed here - it can be a symptom of more serious problems.  For more advice on coping with tinnitus see the guides from the British Tinnitus Association.  

 

I haven't heard silence since 2016.  I've lived for the last four years with a constant high pitched tone in my left ear.  A high pitched, single, never ending tone.  For the first six months the sound drove its way into my thoughts at every hour of the day,  twisting my thinking, and damaging my mental health.  In this entry I discuss my tinnitus diagnosis, and the tips I have used to help live with the condition.  

 

I was referred to the Audiology department at my Local Hospital - who carried out a battery of tests to see whether it was a result of damage to the ear, or to the eustachian tube was damaged in any way - causing an internal sound.  

The Eustachian Tube, named for Bartolomeo Eustachi - a 16th century anatomist and one of the founders of the science of anatomy, connects the middle ear to the nasopharynx, and is normally collapsed, but opens on swallowing and positive pressure.  Equalising the pressure within the ear by opening the tube (since the air within the ear is not exposed to the atmosphere and can be subject to pressure differences) can be achieved by the Valsalva maneuver - by breathing out against a closed airway.  The person carrying out the procedure closes their mouth and nose with their hand and attempts to breathe out, which forces the Eustachian tube to open.  It is commonly used to equalize the pressure between the air in the ear canal and the surrounding atmosphere.  The procedure is named for Antonio Maria Valsalva - a 17th century Italian anatomist.  

An anatomical illustration of the middle ear, including the eustachian tube

 

 

The tests showed no internal source of the sound - concluding it to be tinnitus.  There was no damage to the ear itself, but since tinnitus can emerge as a symptom of underlying problems with the brain - including brain tumours - and my own history of brain injury - it was decided that some further tests would be necessary.  In this case I spent another hour in an MRI machine having scans taken of my brain to ensure there was no fresh scarring, no tumour, etc.  The MRI showed no new changes to my brain - confirming that the tinnitus was independent of the damage.  So what was the cause?

We explored multiple causes over the months and none which would require additional treatment were found.  My own personal theory is that it may be the result of an interaction between two of my medications - both of which have tinnitus as a relatively rare side effect - particularly since the symptom developed approximately a month after starting treatment with a new medication replacing one I had previously been on for some years.  However at this time we cannot easily change this medication to see if the tinnitus subsides after withdrawal.  

So how do you live with a constant high pitched sound similar to feedback in a sound system playing in one of your ears?  It's not easy, but I've developed some strategies over time.  So here are my thoughts, as a patient, about ways which can help you cope with this.

 

Tip 1: Music

 

The audiologist noted, after I mentioned the exact tone of my tinnitus, that tinnitus appears to be slightly more common amongst - and frustrating for - musicians and audio professionals.  For me this was one source of my frustration - since when I worked in sound engineering I had always taken proper precautions to take care of my hearing, using hearing protection and being careful to avoid long exposures to loud sound.  Like both my parents I have relative pitch, and degrees of absolute pitch (sometimes called perfect pitch) which means we experience music in a slightly different way to most people.  In my case I also have associations between sound and colour.  However music can still be key to helping live with tinnitus particularly when it comes to sleep.  Instrumental music can be useful especially at low volume, as it allows the brain to tune out of the constant sound and focus on the one that in is changing even if you are not necessarily consciously listening.  My personal go to tends towards classical music and post-rock - I'm particularly fond of the composer Camille Saint-Saëns, the bands God is an Astronaut,  Sigur Rós, Nox Arcana, and Signal Hill.  The first time I used music was actually a track used as backing to the first website of the band The Birthday Massacre, which was called the Night Loop.  There are a vast number of artists producing instrumental and ambient music which can be useful as low level background noise to help tune out the tinnitus tone.  At the right volume (which you can generally find by experimentation) the tinnitus tone becomes lost in the other sounds as your brain identifies the music and disregards the tone.  

 

Tip 2: Noise Generators / Noise Apps

 

Another way of compensating for the tinnitus tone is through noise generators or noise apps.  There are a large number on the market - including a number of free apps and samples on YouTube.  Most produce either white noise (familiar from those old enough to remember TV signal interference), pink noise.  or brown noise.  These are sounds across differing frequencies with the same intensity - as with music they effectively allow the tinnitus tone to get lost in the general sound.  I personally find brown noise to be slightly unnerving (which may well be a reflexive response).  The other options are noise generating apps such as those which offer a variety of rain sounds.  I find these to be particularly useful as they give you a variety of options such as rain on a window or roof, heavy rain and thunder, or light rain.  Others are marketed as being for helping babies and young children to sleep, producing such background noise as the sound of a washing machine, dishwasher, car engine etc.  I tend to find the noise and rhythm of the sound of trains helpful.  Many of these apps are freely available on Android and Apple devices.  Of course one of the earliest services of this type were the websites RainyMood.com and Coffitivity.  

 

Tip 3: Noise Cancelling Headphones

 

This might sound initially counter intuitive - since the purpose of noise cancelling headphones is to block out ambient sound and background noise - but I have found that a good pair of headphones with active noise cancellation - when paired with the above two tips - is one of the best things I have found for helping cope with my tinnitus when I need to concentrate on a particular task.  My personal favourite set are from Skullcandy (the Venue model which retails at around £100), but a good workable and reliable set from MPow, available on Amazon, retail for around £40 and are as affective.  By blocking out other ambient sound they allow you to replace it with the soundscape you want - allowing you to fine tune your background noise to help with concentration.  While they are an expensive purchase for me they are more than worth the investment.  

 

Tip 4: Clockwork.  

 

There is a lot to be said for following a routine when it comes to getting to sleep and it has been shown that a routine helps sufferers of tinnitus when it comes to tuning out the tone enough to sleep.  Impact on sleep is a major issue for many people with tinnitus - and the BTA sells a number of devices which help with background noise generation for sleep - including specialist headphones to be worn while sleeping.  I have found that one thing which helped a lot was a simple purchase of an old fashioned bell alarm clock - which, along with having a loud alarm, also has a distinctive regular tick.  The repeated sound helps break up the sound, and can itself be soothing in this respect.

 

These four tips have helped me cope with my tinnitus on a day to day basis, both when I'm relaxing, sleeping, or working on my thesis and other research.  I hope these tips may be useful to anyone struggling with tinnitus, or those who struggle with concentration more generally.  As said in the note at the top of this entry - if you have tinnitus check the NHS website, and in the UK if needed see your GP who can help with some initial examinations to identify potential causes (one cause of tinnitus can be earwax build up for example) which can be treated simply, or refer you to the relevant clinic.  It can be hard to live with but it can be done.